Monday, November 11, 2013

Slowing Down

source

"You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight."
- Jim Rohn
 
I am a very faster eater. Maybe it's because I am the oldest of five siblings and in my family food went quickly. You had to get what you wanted or you didn't get anything at all. However, I am beginning to learn that even though I could win a food eating contest, this is not the best habit to help me maintain my healthy lifestyle.

When I went to visit my family, I spent some time with my Mom and Grandma. While at my Grandma's house, I noticed how slowly she eats her food. You can't blame it on her age, because as long as I can remember she has always been a very slow eater. I couldn't help but think that I would like to be just like her, but don't know how.

Thankfully, the Weight Watchers routine of the month for November is to Slow Down! More specifically, you are to "put your fork down and sip water in between bites". I am so excited to begin to try this routine and to learn to eat my food more slowly.

Some of you might hesitate to try this new routine, but let's look at some of the benefits you get when you slow down your eating.

1. Research shows that "people ate 10% fewer calories when they dialed down their pace than when they scarfed down their food". Who would be sad about consuming fewer calories? Not very many of you. In the long run, eating more slowly can help you achieve your weight loss goals!

2. You will have a happier digestive tract! Eating too quickly can lead to gas and heartburn. People who spend more time eating their meals are less likely to suffer from issues like those.

3. Feeling more satisfied is another good reason to slow down your eating habits.

Finally, here are a few tips to help you slow down when dining.

1. Take it all in. Engage all your sense. How does the food look and smell? Anticipate that first taste and really savor each mouthful as you go.

2. Eat frequently. Don't let me than four hours go by between meals, so you aren't famished when you sit down to eat.

3. Reflect on what you would do differently next time. How could you better prepare?

What will it take for you to slow down this week?
Commit to trying this for just one meal and see what kind of difference it makes for you!
 
 
For more tips, please visit the Weight Watchers website.

5 comments:

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

Thank you for sharing this! I know you're stepping back from the leader role, but your blog has been such a nice "supplement" to the meetings in my area. :)

Granny Marigold said...

I read your blog regularily but so far have not been successful in posting a comment because of the dreaded word verification. However I will try once more before giving up. I enjoy what you write. Very sensible. And eating more slowly is so important! Wishing you and your little family all the best.

Unknown said...

I merely had to state that I found your blog through Goolge and i am glad Used to do. Carry on your good work along with Ill ensure that you book mark you when Ive got more time to yourself from this courses. Many thanks!

Best Cardsharing

Hottea said...

Great tip!!! I"m going to implement this. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Terrific quality publish. I adore simply how much inforamtion one can have from your world wide web. And with regards to producing money and running a blog, you have some good content on right here.

Cardsharing Server

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...