Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Smart Supermarket Shopping Guide

source
For some of us the Supermarket can be an extremely intimidating. There are tempting foods around every corner!!

This was such a fun meeting to lead, because I love the grocery store! I have so much fun grocery shopping with my husband. Jon is so supportive of my weight loss. He even helps me calculate PointsPlus values of different foods, to try and find the largest serving size for the least amount of PointsPlus.

If you find the grocery store overwhelming please read the meeting summary below. If you have already learned how to navigate the grocery store, please share your tips with me! I would love to know how you do it!

Here is the meeting summary from September 3, 2011.

More than 30,000 food products fill the shelves of approximately 34,000 supermarkets in the U.S., according to the Food Marketing Institute. Supermarket superstores offer endless aisles of food choices, and wholesale centers encourage us to consume in bulk to save money.

Without a clear game plan, double coupons, weekly specials and free samples can encourage you to buy more food than your family needs and derail your weight-loss efforts.

Weight Watchers has created a Smart Supermarket Shopping Guide with tips to help you make wise food choices, save time and plan your ultimate 40-minute shopping trip.

Plan Ahead 
• Write down your shopping list. It helps you stay focused while strolling the aisles.
• Post your shopping list on the refrigerator and add to it as you need to replenish your food and household items. This saves time when you are ready to shop.

Review Your List
• Before heading out to the store, use the shopping circular to help plan the major meals for the week. After planning your menu, check your pantry and fridge to take inventory of what you need.
• Always add a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables for side dishes and snacks.
• Include a few treats to avoid feeling deprived.
• Do not forget the staples: milk, eggs, juice, cereal, bread, and yogurt. These basic food items are a good place to reduce fat and calories because you can choose lowfat or nonfat versions of most of these items. Some of these items help increase daily fiber intake also.

Shopping Strategy 
• Get through the supermarket quickly by organizing your list according to the store layout. Most supermarkets are similarly designed, with perishable foods, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy, eggs and breads around the perimeter of the store, and aisles and end-displays containing cleaning and paper products, health and beauty aids, packaged and canned goods, and frozen foods.

• Purchase only the items on your shopping list. Resist impulse purchases which tend to be high fat and high calorie. However, we all fall prey to impulse shopping and if you deny yourself you will wind up spending even more. Allow yourself three impulse items and write them down as you buy them, that way you will feel satisfied and still stay on budget.

• Eat before you shop. Never go to the supermarket with an empty stomach. You are likely to end up with more food than you need and more fattening selections.

4 comments:

Cindy Matejka said...

At work, I keep my list minimized for the week, and as I think of things, I add them. I love grocery shopping too, but not with the hubby, I take the three year old with me ;0) Less feedback on healthy foods :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.

Martha@ Simple Nourished Living said...

I Jennifer,

I just happened across your blog this morning doing research for my first WW Meeting in Phoenix here tonight. So glad I found you. I've added you to my Google Reader and will be back soon!

Congratulations on your weight loss success. You truly are an inspiration!!

Glenton Malvyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...