Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe Review: Pineapple Angel Food Cake

This past weekend the weather is Texas was in the 80's and 90's! So, when I was supposed to make a dessert for a church potluck I decided to try new! What says summer/spring more than pineapple, coconut, and cool whip?

I have had this recipe for Pineapple Angel Food Cake for a while and I am so glad that I finally made it!

Two ingredients for the cake, angel food cake and crushed pineapple

Mix the two ingredients together.

Pour into a pan that had previously been sprayed with PAM.

Make sure the batter has been evenly distributed and bake.

This is what the Pineapple Angel Food Cake looks like when you take it out of the oven.

After I made the Pineapple Angel Food Cake, I decided to top it with 1/2 cup of coconut and a cool whip pudding icing.

Cool Whip Icing
Adapted From: Dogwood Radiance

Ingredients
8 oz Cool Whip Free
1 small box vanilla pudding mix (dry)

Instructions
In a large bowl, beat together whipped topping, and dry pudding mix until blended. Spread on cake.

Serves: 16; Points+ 3


This was a new way to make icing, so I was nervous about how it would turn out. However it was delicious!

Then I spread the icing on top of the cake.

I topped it with 1/2 cup of coconut.

For fun I added some mandarin oranges to make it look pretty.

This cake was so good!

All together the cake with topping had 16 servings; 4 points+ per piece of cake.

24 comments:

Losing Brownies said...

What an easy, yummy looking treat!

Marlene said...

Amazing how many low calorie deserts you can make with Angel Food Cake mix! If I remember correctly, this is the 3rd flavor you've done! Sounds yummy!

My Recent Favorite Books said...

This looks so yummy! =) Im saving it to try very..soon!
Melissa

Sarah said...

That looks delicious! I must make it.

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Jen Newsham said...

This is a great recipe! Let me know what you think after you try it!

Jane said...

Hi Jennifer,
This looks heavenly! Oh my goodness! Thanks for adding it to Melt in Your Mouth Monday! :)

Jen Newsham said...

You're welcome Jane!

Unknown said...

How long do you bake the cake and at what temperature. It sounds delicious!

Jen Newsham said...

Hi Cindy Lea, I baked my cake according to the instructions on the cake mix.

Thanks!

skinnyb1202 said...

This was so easy and delicious!!!! I left off the icing and the cake alone was great. Thanks for the recipe. Look forward to exploring your blog!

Heidi said...

Do you drain the pineapple??
Thanks!

Jen Newsham said...

Heidi - I did not drain the pineapple.

Karen said...

The cake box does not give time & temp for a 9 X 13 pan. How long did you bake yours. I've made this once & I think I overbaked it. This is an easy & delicious cake.

Jen Newsham said...

Karen - I am not sure. I probably baked mine at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes.

Tammy E. said...

I am happy I found your blog. Great WW recipes. Can't wait to try this one. Thanks for the inspiration. God bless you on your journey.

Carol said...

I make this every year for a co-worker's birthday. This year I added 1 tsp. coconut extract. It was delish. I don't top it with anything, and it's perfect!

Anonymous said...

i did something wrong... it was like rubber cornbread... yuck! i followed recipe to a tee?

Chastity Perdue said...

Does the cake need to be refrigerated because of the icing having cook whip in it? We are cooking it now and it smells delicious!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: That also happened to me the first time because I had a two pouch angel food cake mix (didn't know there was a one pouch kind). You have to use the one pouch kind.

Unknown said...

I like this variation, I use this recipe, but top the cake with a 2nd can of pineapple, chill and top with cool whip :-)

Laura said...

Love your idea to add coconut to the frosting - I did that, but I also added a cup of milk. So yummy!! Thanks for sharing. I found your blog via a google search for that pineapple/angel food cake.

Unknown said...

Do you drain the juice off the pineapple before mixing with the cake mix?

Debb. said...

I love this cake. I have made it several times. My variation is using 16 oz. whipped topping instead of 8 oz. As well, my daughter likes it when I lightly toast the coconut before topping it on the cake.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...