Thursday, December 9, 2010

Recipe Review: Sweet 'n Sticky Sesame Chicken

The new PointsPlus system has renewed my desire to find healthy recipes that taste good. I am always on the lookout for new recipes, but for a while I have leaned more on our standbys and forgotten to try any thing new!

So, I was looking for a recipe the other night that Jon and I could enjoy together. I really love Hungry Girl recipes. These recipes are wonderful, because they always come in smaller portion sizes. Most nights I am only cooking for two, so why do I need to make something that says it has eight servings?

With six extra servings sitting around I am much more tempted to get just a little more then I should. However, when I make a recipe that only divides once I try to be very careful when I dish out our portions. I do not want to cheat Jon or myself out of any part of our serving.

There are so many good recipes to choose from, but I finally decided to make Hungry Girl's Sweet 'n Sticky Sesame Chicken (the complete recipe is listed below).

Sweet 'n Sticky Sesame Chicken
From: Hungry Girl
Ingredients
10 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour, divided
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. sugar-free pancake syrup
2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp. ketchup
1/2 tbsp. lite/low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1 tsp. sesame seeds
2 tbsp. thinly sliced scallions
Optional: crushed red pepper

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.

Place chicken in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and cover with egg substitute. Toss to coat and set aside.

Place 2 tbsp. flour in another bowl. Use a fork to transfer half of the chicken to the flour bowl, allowing excess egg substitute to drain back into the egg bowl. Thoroughly coat chicken with flour, and then transfer to the baking sheet. Wipe the bowl clean, and then repeat with remaining flour and chicken.

Bake chicken in the oven until fully cooked, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine broth with cornstarch in a small nonstick pot and stir to dissolve. Add syrup, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix well and bring to medium heat on the stove. Stirring often, cook until thick enough to coat a spoon, 2 - 3 minutes. Set aside.

Place cooked chicken in a bowl, top with sauce, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. If you like, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Eat up!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe, about 1 cup
Calories 288; Fat 4g; Carbs: 24g; Fiber: 2.25g; Protein: 37g
7 pointsplus+

. . . . . . . . . .
By the time I decided to make this into a blog post I had already cooked the chicken in the oven and made the sauce.

I tossed the chicken in the sauce. The sauce smelled so good! I just wanted to lick the spoon.

I topped everything with green onions and sesame seeds.

I choose to serve this over brown rice. I added a little more low-sodium soy sauce to eat with the rice. It was delicious!!

5 comments:

Losing Brownies said...

Yum, I love anything with an asian flair to it! Also, love your bowls, we have that serving set too!

Jen Newsham said...

Losing Brownies - Asian is the best in my opinion!

Sarah Lynn said...

This looks great, I'm going to try it with some tofu. :)

Jen Newsham said...

Sarah Lynn - Tofu is a great idea! I hope you enjoy it.

Melissa said...

This looks like a fabulous recipe!

Thanks for posting it! =)

Melissa
http://readingnks.blogspot.com/
http://candlesinks.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...