Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Guest Post: Low Carbing And Loving It

Today's guest post comes from Katlupe at Homesteading On the Internet.

This is the first time I have ever written a guest post for another blogger's blog. So this is a new experience for me. I have been proudly telling everyone about the benefits of low carbs ever since I started eating that way back in 2008. So many people say things against low carb diets and Dr. Atkins particularly. I was one of those people! I had friends who were on Dr. Atkins and they would say things against bread. Well, I AM a homesteader and what is one of the first things a new homesteader does? Why learn to bake bread of course! Don't anyone badmouth our bread!

The night I picked up Dr. Atkins' book to read because someone had asked me to sell it in my eBay store for them, I read it cover to cover. It opened my eyes. Dr. Atkins goes into all the details of why this diet is so good for you. And he covers the history of how sugar, white flour and processed foods have affected the population. After I read that, I was mad about me maniulpated into eating foods that were not nutritional in the least amount. Plus, damaging everyone's health. The thing is that everything he wrote is true! I can see it so clearly now.

What is very encouraging on the low carb eating plans is that you are not that hungry after the first three days. So that really helped me a lot. In fact, now I never eat between meals because I am just not that hungry. If you mistakenly think low carbs means no vegetables or fruit, that is mistaken. Low carb vegetables are plentiful. You can eat all kinds of vegtables. Berries have the lowest carb count for fruit. Lucky for me as that is what I grow. So here I was eating a plate full of meat and salad with full fat dressing, but low carb and no sugar. I could have real cream in my coffee. In between I could have snacks of cream cheese in celery sticks or hard boiled eggs or a dish of chicken salad. For breakfast I would have bacon and eggs or a cheese and mushroom omelet. This diet is boring only if you let it be.

After the first fourteen days of what on the Atkins Diet, is called Induction, you can add more carbs into your diet slowly. Or you may opt to stay on it if you need to lose weight. Which is what I do. I stay between 20-30 carbs. You may need to add more carbs to keep it coming off. It is a gradual process of adding more carbs until you come to the point where you don't lose anymore weight or you gain. That would be your cut off point of carbs. It is different for each person because we are all different. So what might be my cut off point may not be your's.

The key to a low carb diet is to cook from scratch! I wrote about this in my blog, Homesteading On The Internet, today in this post, The Key To Low Carb Cooking. Include a variety of foods in your plan. Don't eat the same thing every day. I am one of those people who likes to eat leftovers for breakfast. So I am not eating an omelet daily and getting bored with it. Make your meals awesome! Look forward to them. In fact, your family can be eating them with you and not even know it is low carbs. It is good for them too. Don't feel guilty for making your family eat this way with you! You don't think filling them up with sugar, white flour and processed foods is good for them....... do you? Just because they are not fat or sick yet? The saying "you are what you eat" is so true!

4 comments:

Casey said...

I have always believed that low carbing is the way to go! Great guest post!!!

xo,
Casey
www.blondebargainbabe.com

PS- Check out my giveaway! It's my first one, and I think it's pretty good!!!

Paula said...

Kat, so well written. Love it. Congrats!

Bev said...

Very inspiring post! I'm trying to make more meals that are just meat and two veggies. But it is so hard for me to give up my casseroles with pasta in them!

shopping2scale Wreaths Crafts said...

Great article. I love reading about others weight loss success stories. I look forward to reading more, Kat you did an excellent job with the interview. I do a lot of couponing and I'm able to get great deals on our food budget. However, we do a lot of cooking and preparing meals from scratch, yes sometimes its a little more expensive but well worth the extra. It always gives me great pleasure to create something from scratch that my husband enjoys eating. Keep up the great work. I'll be back to visit.
Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...