Friday, April 16, 2010

Fun in the Sand

This evening my Sunday school class had a volleyball and ice cream sundae night. We had the same event last year, but this year was so much different then last year...I am different. You see last year I did not want to play volleyball, I'm sure I only went for the people and the ice cream. I was perfectly content to sit on the picnic table and watch everyone else have fun playing volleyball. Reluctantly I would play after they begged me to come out on the court, but I would shy away from the ball hoping that I would make any major mistakes.

This year was different, because my primary concerns had changed. I was still looking forward to spending time with the people I love, but I was also looking forward to playing volleyball. I am still not a talented volleyball player, but I tried my best. I was laughed at for the ways I would try to hit the ball, but it was all in good fun. We such a fun evening!

I hope I have not given you all a false impression of the kind of person that I am. I'm just going to be honest and lay it out there...I love to run, but that's it. I would not consider myself an athletic person, in the traditional sense. I am not one of those people who can join any game with a ball on the spot and be talented enough to help win the game. I am the person who is chosen last for sports teams and will be the one to make the error in the last inning when the bases are loaded and it is a full count. I am very familiar with losing. I do not say this to complain or so that you will pity me. The truth is that I lack both the confidence and the coordination necessary to be that kind of person.

All of this to say, if you are like me, well the way I was last year, then take a chance. Do not just put yourself out there with any group of people, but those you love and trust. Try doing something you have never done before or something you think would challenge you. I do not know about you, but I do not want to miss out on anything!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...